Simple Steps is a Pilot Program of the Rotary Club of Knox created for the sole purpose of providing funding for mental health counselling in the Knox area. Simple Steps Solutions Inc. is the name of this incorporated organisation.
Who is it for?
- would benefit from access to counselling
- live, work or study in the City of Knox
- are unable to access Government services or consult private practitioners due to financial difficulties.
How does it work?
The pilot program will be operated in association with headspace Knox who will;
- identify a young person who meets the above criteria from their clients
- help the client select the most appropriate counsellor from a list of participating counsellors, supplied by Simple Steps
- make a referral and the client would then negotiate appointment times with the selected counsellor
- If such a referral turns out to be unsuitable, another counsellor could be negotiated.
- The counsellor would send their account to, and be paid by Simple Steps Solutions Inc.
The client is not expected to make any financial contribution.
The desirable numbers of sessions would be worked out between counsellor and client. However, if this turns out to be more than six, the arrangement will need to be reviewed. At no stage will Simple Steps Solutions be told the name of the client or other personal information. They will keep only basic data, for example, age range or gender of clients to help with forward planning.
What does this aim to achieve?
- Better mental health for individuals and therefore the community overall
- Shortening of waiting time for services
- Reduction in pressure on professionals
How is it funded?
Initially, this program it is being funded by the Rotary Club of Knox, Rotary District Grants, and Knox City Council. However, Simple Steps Solutions Inc. has registered as a charity and will need to seek and encourage further donations if it is to continue.
How can you help?
Individuals and companies can take a simple step and make a difference to the lives of others by supporting Simple Steps Inc. with a donation. All such donations will go directly to supporting the counselling services. Donations can be made via the Rotary Club of Knox and these donations when over $2 are tax deductible. Donations can also be made directly to Simple Steps Solutions Inc, however during this pilot stage these are not tax deductible.